Thanks, Erik.
I looked at CarpetIOASCII 0D before, but thought it couldn't be the right thing, as it outputs many columns of meaningless information (I.e., columns 3 through 12 of the general IOASCII output, including levels, coordinate indices, and coordinate values). The IOScalar output has the advantage of being smaller & easier to read. Apart from the reduction issue, it's not clear to me that it's a worse choice than IOASCII/0D.
Follow-on question, which applies to both thorns: I actually have three scalar variables -- the components of a 3-vector. Ideally, I'd like to output them in a single file. This works OK, as they're in a group, and I've activated the "one_file_per_group" option.
But ... I actually have one of these scalar groups per apparent horizon. Here's the declaration in my interface.ccl:
REAL test_scalars[num_horizons] TYPE=scalar { test_x test_y test_z } "Testing horizon scalar"
When I request scalar output of test_x[0], I get a file with test_x[0] in its name.
When I request scalar output of the group test_scalars[0], I get a file with test_scalars in its name -- no "[0]".
Do you know why the horizon index is dropped for group output? If I request scalar output of the group test_scalars[0] -and- of test_scalars[1], what will happen? This seems like a bug to me.
Bernard
On 1/5/11 3:56 PM, "Erik Schnetter" schnetter@cct.lsu.edu wrote:
Bernard
CarpetIOScalar is for outputting reduction results; this does not really apply to scalar variables. You can output scalar variables without reduction using CarpetIOASCII; this is called "0D" output there since scalars are 0-dimensional grid variables (this is also how they are implemented internally).
out0D_vars = "..." out0D_every = ...
You can also use 0D output to output multi-dimensional grid variables at a certain point, e.g. the origin.
-erik
On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Kelly, Bernard J. (GSFC-660.0)[UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND BALTIMORE COUNTY] bernard.j.kelly@nasa.gov wrote:
Hi all. This seems trivial, but ... How do I avoid reductions (average, minimum, maximum, etc) for scalar output of a SCALAR variable in CarpetIOScalar? CactusBase/IOBasic recognises the SCALAR type of the variable, and doesn't bother with reduction. Carpet/CarpetIOScalar seems to ignore the type, and does the reductions. At least, it outputs several files with trivial information in them. I can force it to only generate one file by setting outscalar_reductions ="average" (for instance), but then I lose the reductions for all other (non-SCALAR) variables. Thanks, Bernard [working with the Chandrasekhar release of ETK] _______________________________________________ Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
-- Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/