Hello all,
I guess those who set up a telecon in the past know how to do this, and others don't since Google applies some strange rules. Can we add respective instructions (for setting up a telecon, and for giving feedback if it doesn't work) to the wiki?
Basically: log out of *all* your google accounts (best would be to open up new browser). *Then* log into yourname@gmail.com (*not* yourname@yourinstitute.edu), *before* you create or try to enter the hangout. First person in the hangout sets the ownership to their institution (google which makes it public or yourinstitute which makes it private and that gives you all the trouble we are seeing). Just having the correct one be the "active" one is sadly not enough.
Since I had this same issue myself quite a lot in the past I ended up actually running two browsers: one logged into gmail.com (Firefox) and one logged into rhaas@illinois.edu (eg Chrome).
This seems like an very bad issue with Google's multi-account handling.
Yours, Roland