On Apr 20, 2010, at 7:44 , Barry Wardell wrote:
On 20/04/2010 12:07, Ian Hinder wrote:
Maybe the Einstein Toolkit should host web-based documentation for all the thorns in it?
I think it would be really useful to have web-based HTML documentation for everything in the Einstein Toolkit. This should be fairly straightforward to create from the LaTeX source. There is a useful package called tex4ht which does a pretty good job of converting LaTeX to HTML. As an example of how well it can do, I ran it with the CactusWave documentation and got quite good output: http://www.aei.mpg.de/~barry/documentation.html
This is by far the best latex-to-html conversion I've ever seen. Before that, I would have said that pdf is the way to go, because it is impossible to create readable html except for plain text.
Barry, do you want to modify the script in Cactus which builds the individual thorn guides? (Look for the ThornDoc and ArrangementDoc make targets; these eventually lead to independent shell scripts in lib/sbin that process one thorn or arrangement at a time.) You would look whether tex4ht is installed, and if so, would produce html in addition to pdf. (These scripts are written in bash; perl would have been a better choice.)
We will then incorporate this into Cactus, either as separate make target or together with building the pdf documentation.
-erik