On 20/08/14 13:56, Dumsani Ndzinisa wrote:
Hi Ian,
As far as I know, those limits are set in the machine definition file, the .ini file specifically. Once you have added them on, do a fresh build, making sure to pass the ini file as an (optional) argument to you new build. That is, simfactory/bin/sim build ..... --machine=simfactory/mdb/machines/<machinename.ini> If not set, they will take on some default values which might limit you on submission when you now try to ask for more cores (processors) than the set (default) maximum. This seems to be the trouble in your case.
It is also possible for the ini file that you are currently using not to have these variables. In that case, you will need to add them. See an example ini file in the files shipped with the code (in simfactory/mdb/machines/).
I hope that helps shed some light.
Regards, Dumsani
Hi Dumsani,
Thanks for your help. I was confident that your suggestion would work, but would you believe this?
./simfactory/bin/sim build --thornlist=manifest/einsteintoolkit.th --machine=simfactory/mdb/machines/sumo.ini Error: retrieving Machine entry for Machine simfactory/mdb/machines/sumo.ini: Machine simfactory/mdb/machines/sumo.ini doesn't exist Aborting Simfactory.
ls -lAh simfactory/mdb/machines/sumo.ini -rw-r--r-- 1 ian ian 1.1K Aug 20 14:27 simfactory/mdb/machines/sumo.ini
So I looked in sim --help and tried:
./simfactory/bin/sim build --thornlist=manifest/einsteintoolkit.th --mdb=simfactory/mdb/machines/sumo.ini
and that seemed to work, and
./simfactory/bin/sim submit static_tov --parfile=par/static_tov_small.par --walltime=8:0:0
started a process, but on one CPU as before. So I then tried:
./simfactory/bin/sim submit static_tov --machine=sumo --parfile=par/static_tov_small.par --ppn=2 --procs=2 --walltime=8:0:0 Error: retrieving Machine entry for Machine sumo: Machine sumo doesn't exist Aborting Simfactory.
then I tried sumo.ini, path to sumo.ini (but I specified the machine for the build so do I need to do this in the sim command as well?) and probably a few other things, but still can't get more than one core/thread to start. Phew!
Any other suggestions?
Cheers,
Ian.