Hello Erik,
No, the --recover option should not be necessary unless you want to recover from a particular restart.
Thank you. That is good to know.
The "sim run" command is supposed to look at what actions "sim submit" did, and perform those that are missing. This includes creating the directory structure. I don't expect this to be well tested. Linking to checkpoint files cannot be done by "sim submit", so it is always "sim run" that does this.
ok.
You seem to be intending to chain jobs together. I assume you are aware that Simfactory already offers a facility for this? This would submit several the jobs simultaneously with respective dependencies. You can also pre-submit more jobs to extend this chain. Thus "sim submit" instead of "qsub" should do the same thing, and/or you can also run the "sim submit" from the command line (adding, say, ten more restarts) if needed.
I am using presubmission for other jobs (though it has been fragile occasionally in not finding checkpoints and not warning about it, but I am not quite sure how I triggered it. It's one of those "magic" things that almost always work it seems unless one does something unexpected.).
I cannot use the presubmission facility straightforwardly (I believe) since I currently lump a number of independent simulations into a single queue item (to get a bit of higher run priority on kraken due to the higher core count).
The simplest way right now seems to use "sim submit ... --mdbkey=submit '/bin/bash @SCRIPTFILE@ &'" in my qsub script to start all sub-simulations which means I can simply re-use the very same qsub script again at the end after waiting for all simulations to finish.
The logic that triggers pre-submission is that you require more wall time than the queue limit. In this case, the job is broken into several restarts.
It also happens if I submit a job to to a simulation that is already in queue or running, does it not? Or would I explicitly have to add a --presubmit (or similar) flag to the submit sub-command?
Yours, Roland
PS: I hope that my description above does not deviate too much from reality.
Well I can always try and see how reality compares to the design specifications. Any difference is a bug in the specifications...