On Jun 22, 2010, at 14:46 , Alan Cowen wrote:
Hi,
I am having trouble compiling the Einstein Toolkit executable as described in the Tutorial for New Users.
The error I am getting is as follows:
Alan-Cowens-MacBook-Pro:Cactus Albi$ ./simfactory/sim build --thornlist=manifest/einsteintoolkit.th Simulation Factory: Configuration name(s) not specified -- using default configuration "sim" Uncaught exception from user code: Unknown machine name "alan-cowens-macbook-pro.local" at ./simfactory/sim line 5034. at ./simfactory/sim line 5034 main::get_machine('') called at ./simfactory/sim line 1496 main::command_build() called at ./simfactory/sim line 452
It seems to be having trouble recognizing my own machine name as expressed in line 5034 of sim.
How might I fix this problem?
Alan
To build the Einstein Toolkit on your own laptop you will need to configure it (or, rather, configure SimFactory) by telling it about the compilers and libraries you have installed there. This process is sometimes tedious and can require trial and error. To get started with the Einstein Toolkit, I suggest that you use Queen Bee instead of your notebook.
I don't think that we currently have instructions for adding such a configuration to SimFactory. I'm using the Einstein Toolkit on my Mac Book, and so I know that things work there. However, different machines usually differ in many small but annoying details, and to get started it is best to use the same machine as someone else to avoid these small problems.
How much experience do you have with Unix?
-erik