Hi Erik.
No. Space / file number has sometimes been an issue on this machine, but not recently, and I tried this with two different executables compiled a week apart. I just compiled a different executable with Formaline, and got the same result.
Bernard
On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 at 13:40, Erik Schnetter schnetter@gmail.com wrote:
Bernard
I don't know why Formaline wouldn't output all thorns. There is no mechanism that would store or output only some of the thorns. Did you run out of disk space just now, so that the other tarballs couldn't be written?
-erik
On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 5:51 AM Bernard Kelly physicsbeany@gmail.com wrote:
Hi Roland. Thanks for the quick response.
I tried running the executable using a parameter file that only included
'ActiveThorns = "Formaline"', as you suggested. This seemed to work, but the result was a new directory called 'cactus-source' that included only a handful of basic thorns:
Cactus-source-ADMAnalysis.tar.gz Cactus-source-ADMBase.tar.gz Cactus-source-ADMCoupling.tar.gz Cactus-source-ADMMacros.tar.gz Cactus-source-ADMMass.tar.gz Cactus-source-CactusConfig.tar.gz Cactus-source-Cactus.tar.gz
Does this mean that Formaline didn't store the other thorns, or that
they have to be dug out some other way?
Bernard
On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 at 14:26, Roland Haas rhaas@illinois.edu wrote:
Hello Bernard,
Follow-up thought: since gdb is a debugger, does this mean I should
have
compiled the original executable with debugging symbols? (Something I almost never do for a production executable.)
Almost certainly, yes. Though maybe not all off them but enough that say "nm exe/cactus_sim_ET_2021_05_BC" reports something for cactus_source (eg in my case nm exe/cactus_sim | grep 'cactus_source$' -> 0000000006fdc1c0 D cactus_source). Gdb needs to be able to resolve the "cactus_source" symbol into the actual address. Otherwise it will be hard to find out that correct starting point for the linked list of tar file fragments.
If you can still run the the executable then running it with a minimal thornlist that says
ActiveThorns = "Formaline"
will write out the source code tarball.
Yours, Roland
-- My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://keys.gnupg.net.
--
Bernard Kelly -- CRESST Assistant Research Scientist, NASA/GSFC Gravitational Astrophysics Laboratory --- Code 663
Phone: +1 (301) 286-7243 *** Fax: +1 (301) 286-2226 Web: http://science.gsfc.nasa.gov/sed/bio/bernard.j.kelly ORCID: orcid.org/0000-0002-3326-4454
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
-- Erik Schnetter schnetter@gmail.com http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/personal/eschnetter/