I don't see why we can't run both with and without debug. Both will detect different sorts of errors.
I wonder if it makes sense to have a series of short tests that run under valgrind.
Cheers, Steve
On 09/26/2011 02:42 PM, Erik Schnetter wrote:
When running test case, I would use a configuration as similar as possible to production runs, so that errors in production runs are actually caught. There are some differences between debug and optimized configurations, and these are mostly to help people track down problems, not to ensure that optimized configurations are correct. I would thus suggest that running test cases with an optimized configuration is a must, and with a debug configuration is a nice addition.
For example, sometimes code is #ifdef'd out in optimized runs, leading to undefined variables that are well defined when debugging. Another example is vectorization that is (by default) disabled without optimization, because without optimization, compilers often do a really lousy job, and vectorized code thus runs a few times slower than unvectorized code.
Regarding segfaults in Fortran: why don't unallocated variables lead to an error in Fortran? Do you refer to Fortran allocation or Cactus allocations here?
-erik
On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Roland Haas roland.haas@physics.gatech.edu wrote:
Hello all,
- run testsuites for release:
It might be a good idea to configure the testsuite configurations with DEBUG=yes to catch as many errors as possible (in particular for the daily testsuite runs). Otherwise eg. variables without storage can remain unnoticed under Fortran (while they casue an immediate segfault under C).
Yours, Roland
-- My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://keys.gnupg.net.
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users