Hi, I need to install version 4.0.0 of the Cactus but when I type the command GetComponents --parallel https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/manifest/raw/ET_2011_10/einsteintoolki... asks me to "please enter the path to hg:" and not what is the path...
[image: Imágenes integradas 1]
Thanks
On 29 Nov 2017, at 05:52, Camilo Alexander Barbosa Doncel cabarbosad@unal.edu.co wrote:
Hi, I need to install version 4.0.0 of the Cactus but when I type the command GetComponents --parallel https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/manifest/raw/ET_2011_10/einsteintoolki... https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/manifest/raw/ET_2011_10/einsteintoolkit.th asks me to "please enter the path to hg:" and not what is the path...
Dear Camilo,
It wants you to have Mercurial installed. You would need to install Mercurial.
That is an ancient version of the toolkit; is there a reason that you are not using the latest released version, from http://einsteintoolkit.org/download.html http://einsteintoolkit.org/download.html ? We don't have the resources to support old versions of the toolkit - we can only really support the current release. The latest release no longer requires Mercurial.
thanks for the answer,
Yes, is that I need to execute a file of parameters that was made in 2008 and that in this version does not execute. I need to run Schwarzschild with attachment of parameters file.
Now I have this error in the installation of 4.0.0:
[image: Imágenes integradas 1]
2017-11-29 3:29 GMT-05:00 Ian Hinder ian.hinder@aei.mpg.de:
On 29 Nov 2017, at 05:52, Camilo Alexander Barbosa Doncel < cabarbosad@unal.edu.co> wrote:
Hi, I need to install version 4.0.0 of the Cactus but when I type the command GetComponents --parallel https://bitbucket.org/ einsteintoolkit/manifest/raw/ET_2011_10/einsteintoolkit.th asks me to "please enter the path to hg:" and not what is the path...
Dear Camilo,
It wants you to have Mercurial installed. You would need to install Mercurial.
That is an ancient version of the toolkit; is there a reason that you are not using the latest released version, from http://einsteintoolkit. org/download.html ? We don't have the resources to support old versions of the toolkit - we can only really support the current release. The latest release no longer requires Mercurial.
-- Ian Hinder http://members.aei.mpg.de/ianhin
This is parameter file!
2017-11-29 22:42 GMT-05:00 Camilo Alexander Barbosa Doncel < cabarbosad@unal.edu.co>:
thanks for the answer,
Yes, is that I need to execute a file of parameters that was made in 2008 and that in this version does not execute. I need to run Schwarzschild with attachment of parameters file.
Now I have this error in the installation of 4.0.0:
[image: Imágenes integradas 1]
2017-11-29 3:29 GMT-05:00 Ian Hinder ian.hinder@aei.mpg.de:
On 29 Nov 2017, at 05:52, Camilo Alexander Barbosa Doncel < cabarbosad@unal.edu.co> wrote:
Hi, I need to install version 4.0.0 of the Cactus but when I type the command GetComponents --parallel https://bitbucket.org/einstein toolkit/manifest/raw/ET_2011_10/einsteintoolkit.th asks me to "please enter the path to hg:" and not what is the path...
Dear Camilo,
It wants you to have Mercurial installed. You would need to install Mercurial.
That is an ancient version of the toolkit; is there a reason that you are not using the latest released version, from http://einsteintoolkit.or g/download.html ? We don't have the resources to support old versions of the toolkit - we can only really support the current release. The latest release no longer requires Mercurial.
-- Ian Hinder http://members.aei.mpg.de/ianhin
On 30 Nov 2017, at 04:42, Camilo Alexander Barbosa Doncel cabarbosad@unal.edu.co wrote:
thanks for the answer,
Yes, is that I need to execute a file of parameters that was made in 2008 and that in this version does not execute. I need to run Schwarzschild with attachment of parameters file.
Hi,
I would strongly recommend trying to get it to work with the current release of the ET instead. The ET is highly backward compatible, and if it doesn't work straight away, it is very likely possible to tweak a couple of parameters and make it work.
The old thornlists from 2008 refer to old code repository servers which we do not use any more, and which may not even exist. The code has since been migrated to new servers (hosted on BitBucket). Since the code is stored in git, it is always possible to check out an old version, and if absolutely necessary for a strict reproducibility test, we could probably get the 2008 version of the toolkit running. But this will be a large amount of work. It's probably much less work to get it working with the current release.
What error message do you get if you try to use the current release?
On Fri, Dec 01, 2017 at 09:16:21AM +0100, Ian Hinder wrote:
Yes, is that I need to execute a file of parameters that was made in 2008 and that in this version does not execute. I need to run Schwarzschild with attachment of parameters file.
I would strongly recommend trying to get it to work with the current release of the ET instead. The ET is highly backward compatible, and if it doesn't work straight away, it is very likely possible to tweak a couple of parameters and make it work.
Hi
I fully agree with Ian in that it would very likely to be best to use the current release, and also in the likely (small) amount of changes needed for this.
However, I also understand that is should be possible to obtain and run old versions of the code. As Ian already explained, we moved some of the modules from 'hg' repositories to 'git' repositories. While doing that, however, we 'preserved history', i.e., it is possible to get the version you want from the git repositories.
I took the old thornlist (the one you used initially, from the ET_2011_10 release) and changed the relevant bits to point to the converted repositories (file attached). I can get a full checkout that way, but I didn't go further. In particular, I didn't try to compile. The reason I mention this is that newer releases don't only contain new code and fixes for our own code, but also changes needed due to changes to compilers and libraries we depend upon. You might find that the old code doesn't compile with today's compilers and/or with updated versions of some libraries we depend upon. Or it might work, especially if you happen to have an old environment anyway.
It might be less hassle to make the old parameter file work with a current version of the code than to make _such_ an old version of the code work with todays tools.
Even if you get the old version to work rather easily, I would stress that it would be best to use this only for validation of old results and the like, not to get new ones.
Frank
users@lists.einsteintoolkit.org