Present: Roland, Bhavesh, Bill, Antoni, Bruno, Eloisa, Helvi, Miguel, Sam, Steve, Zach, Peter, Ian, Jonah,
* Review of Cosmo/Particle WG ** currently to gather interest ** brainstorm ideas in this are ** google doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tN5m74VPJ18V9KKCXcGjD4yECsraoqQLy34B-EX0...
* Review of "Matter Codes" WG ** https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i9a5pCqHLVGumLOqy5VEsBMaU42p9AtW_is3Inz7... ** motivation behind this working group is to coordinate the work of different research groups interested in improving the description of matter and improve the accuracy of numerical codes ** try to involve schedule group work in new development by trying to keep Sam Cupp and Steve Brandt in the loop.
* European ET workshop 2018 ** next year in Portugal (Lisbon) ** use local cluster for school ** would need an estimate for costs for school *** handful of lecturers (travel costs etc) *** technical support *** intro tutorials like Steve and Peter did using jupyter tutorials using machines at NDS (NCSA) and LSU paying particular attention to disk size requirements ** disentangle from US workshop which will be at GT in late summer, early fall will hopefully have exact dates soon ** Steve suggests to combine one of them with Larryfest for Larry Smarr
* Tutorial for new users ** https://www.einsteintoolkit.nationaldataservice.org/ ** can access through link or download ** Roland has typed up instructions on how to create and account and log in which are currently in the rhaas/new-users-tutorial of the www repo for the ET in the file documentation/new-user-tutorial.html:
git clone -b rhaas/new-users-tutorial https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/www
or a live preview:
http://ekohaes8.ncsa.illinois.edu/~rhaas/einsteintoolkit/documentation/new-u...
RNSID review: * Jonah has not yet received any responses from Pedro or Frank * Roland will ping them, cc'ing Jonah
Yours, Roland
Roland, I think the new-user-tutorial.html looks great (though it might be nicer with a small margin around the images). I suggest we link it from the home page as the simplified tutorial and I start emailing our users.
--Steve
On 11/27/2017 10:17 AM, Roland Haas wrote:
rhaas/new-users-tutorialhttps://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/www
Hello Steve,
Roland, I think the new-user-tutorial.html looks great (though it might be nicer with a small margin around the images). I suggest we link it from the home page as the simplified tutorial and I start emailing our users.
Ok, I can add some spacing around the images (probably just a css class setting). I will take my suggested changes are "accepted" then, though that still leaves us with the need to have some jupyter viewer like link for people who want to run on their laptops (which is easy to set up if the jupyter notebook is available on github or via a url).
Yours, Roland
On 11/27/2017 10:37 AM, Roland Haas wrote:
Hello Steve,
Roland, I think the new-user-tutorial.html looks great (though it might be nicer with a small margin around the images). I suggest we link it from the home page as the simplified tutorial and I start emailing our users.
Ok, I can add some spacing around the images (probably just a css class setting). I will take my suggested changes are "accepted" then, though that still leaves us with the need to have some jupyter viewer
like link for people who want to run on their laptops (which is easy to set up if the jupyter notebook is available on github or via a url).
Running from the laptop can be done this way:
docker run -it --rm -p 8888:8888 ndslabs/jupyter-et
After that, they can connect to localhost:8888
Let's not delay launch for that, though.
--Steve
Yours, Roland
Hello Steve,
Running from the laptop can be done this way:
docker run -it --rm -p 8888:8888 ndslabs/jupyter-et
After that, they can connect to localhost:8888
Ideally I would like to avoid using docker so that the new user tutorial is also useful for groups that want to have new students that join them run it so that they have an initial download of the toolkit. It also requires multiple steps to get docker running on OSX or Windows (or even Debian for that matter where docker [which is the docker.io package and not the docker package] is not even in the stable or even the testing distribution).
I have pushed the fixed up version into master.
Let's not delay launch for that, though.
Nono, I am not suggesting to delay because of this.
Yours, Roland
On 11/27/2017 11:52 AM, Roland Haas wrote:
Hello Steve,
Running from the laptop can be done this way:
docker run -it --rm -p 8888:8888 ndslabs/jupyter-etAfter that, they can connect to localhost:8888
Ideally I would like to avoid using docker so that the new user tutorial is also useful for groups that want to have new students that join them run it so that they have an initial download of the toolkit. It also requires multiple steps to get docker running on OSX or Windows (or even Debian for that matter where docker [which is the docker.io package and not the docker package] is not even in the stable or even the testing distribution).
I have pushed the fixed up version into master.
I think that, with a little adjusting, the notebook will run on any laptop after running "pip install jupyter".
--Steve
Let's not delay launch for that, though.
Nono, I am not suggesting to delay because of this.
Yours, Roland
On 27 Nov 2017, at 17:33, Steven R. Brandt sbrandt@cct.lsu.edu wrote:
Roland, I think the new-user-tutorial.html looks great (though it might be nicer with a small margin around the images). I suggest we link it from the home page as the simplified tutorial and I start emailing our users.
Are we yet in a position where we can have just a single tutorial, to avoid confusion?
Yesterday I modified the doc page for the tutorials as follows:
Tutorials: TheTutorial for New Users https://einsteintoolkit.org/documentation/new-user-tutorialleads through your first steps and more on theNational Data Service machine http://www.nationaldataservice.org/, and there is also atutorial https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Simplified_Tutorial_for_New_Usersfor setup on a typical Linux box.
What I could do (and I think we should, I just didn't want to step on anyone's toes), is remove the final clause, like so:
**
Tutorials: TheTutorial for New Users https://einsteintoolkit.org/documentation/new-user-tutorialleads through your first steps and more on theNational Data Service machine http://www.nationaldataservice.org/.
Anyone disagree?
--Steve
On 11/28/2017 02:56 AM, Ian Hinder wrote:
On 27 Nov 2017, at 17:33, Steven R. Brandt <sbrandt@cct.lsu.edu mailto:sbrandt@cct.lsu.edu> wrote:
Roland, I think the new-user-tutorial.html looks great (though it might be nicer with a small margin around the images). I suggest we link it from the home page as the simplified tutorial and I start emailing our users.
Are we yet in a position where we can have just a single tutorial, to avoid confusion?
-- Ian Hinder http://members.aei.mpg.de/ianhin
Hello all,
thank you for updating the website.
What I could do (and I think we should, I just didn't want to step on anyone's toes), is remove the final clause, like so:
**
Tutorials: TheTutorial for New Users https://einsteintoolkit.org/documentation/new-user-tutorialleads through your first steps and more on theNational Data Service machine http://www.nationaldataservice.org/.
Anyone disagree?
I'd like the ipython tutorial to be cleaned up for local use first, eg providing a single line of package installation instructions, making sure the OSX MacPorts and HomeBrew are present, instructing users on how to copy&paste the lines out of jupyter into a shell (ie what do "%" and "!" do?), plotting without jupyter, a read-only html based viewer for the notebook (offline use of the ipynb notebook can run into unexpected issues eg the notebook is for a newer version of jupyter than may be present on workstations if the OS there is quite old). This is based on reports of groups using the simplified tutorial as a part of the getting started process for new students joining them.
After that is done, yes the two tutorials on the wiki right now can certainly go away. Please also make sure to incorporate Ian's getting started tutorial which does not involve running in TOV star simulation.
Yours, Roland
On 11/28/2017 10:51 AM, Roland Haas wrote:
Hello all,
thank you for updating the website.
What I could do (and I think we should, I just didn't want to step on anyone's toes), is remove the final clause, like so:
**
Tutorials: TheTutorial for New Users https://einsteintoolkit.org/documentation/new-user-tutorialleads through your first steps and more on theNational Data Service machine http://www.nationaldataservice.org/.
Anyone disagree?
I'd like the ipython tutorial to be cleaned up for local use first, eg providing a single line of package installation instructions, making sure the OSX MacPorts and HomeBrew are present, instructing users on how to copy&paste the lines out of jupyter into a shell (ie what do "%" and "!" do?), plotting without jupyter, a read-only html based viewer for the notebook (offline use of the ipynb notebook can run into unexpected issues eg the notebook is for a newer version of jupyter than may be present on workstations if the OS there is quite old). This is based on reports of groups using the simplified tutorial as a part of the getting started process for new students joining them.
Noted. However the old tutorial that is still being referenced is out of date in that it works on the assumption that installation requires a different/special config for debian/fedora, etc. It doesn't note that you probably want mpicc in your path, etc. My belief is that we should probably stop referencing it and focus on improving the Jupyter based one.
Note that the notebook in the repo has been updated to address many of the above issues. I will ask Craig to update it on the tutorial machine.
--Steve
After that is done, yes the two tutorials on the wiki right now can certainly go away. Please also make sure to incorporate Ian's getting started tutorial which does not involve running in TOV star simulation.
Yours, Roland
Hello all,
Noted. However the old tutorial that is still being referenced is out of date in that it works on the assumption that installation requires a different/special config for debian/fedora, etc. It doesn't note that
Isn't that still the case for the release version (it seems that some stuff in generic.cfg was backported but that still leaves the issue of packages required)? The tutorial explicitly and intentionally targets the release version of the ET so it can only use method present in the release code.
you probably want mpicc in your path, etc. My belief is that we should probably stop referencing it and focus on improving the Jupyter based one.
I agree with with the improve the jupyter one, disagree with the no longer referencing it (until the jupyter one is a full replacement).
Note that the notebook in the repo has been updated to address many of the above issues. I will ask Craig to update it on the tutorial machine.
Who can currently edit the jupyter notebook in the repo? Also it may be good to have a README or so (ideally a filter on the server side) with instructions in how to commit to the jupyter ipynb notebook. At minimum this seems to require (to make conflict resolution possible):
* clear all output cells before comitting * preserve whichever jupyter version the notebook is for (there's at least 2 incompatible ones that I have encountered) using
Option stuff:
* clear timestamps * https://nbconvert.readthedocs.io/en/latest/usage.html#convert-notebook * probably more
* https://gist.github.com/pbugnion/ea2797393033b54674af * http://timstaley.co.uk/posts/making-git-and-jupyter-notebooks-play-nice
Yours, Roland
Hello all,
Are we yet in a position where we can have just a single tutorial, to avoid confusion?
We can likely have a couple of them that are derived from a common source file. We can use the public nbviewer website to provide read only, no-account-required, web-only copies of the notebook.
There are some things (eg local packages to install, jupyter vs. shell) that mean that the very straighforward one used for new users on the NDS machine does not (should not) contain information needed to install on a local laptop (for people who want to point students at it to download the ET or based their own group's getting started instructions on it).
Yours, Roland
users@lists.einsteintoolkit.org