I like having a checkout of the svn repo for the ET web site on my laptop; this allows me to keep everything in sync when I make changes.
I just discovered that there are now recorded talks in this repository. This is a non-starter for me; downloading the talks via a slow wireless connection won't work for me. Please keep large files that are unlikely to change in a different repo from small files that are frequently edited. (One may even question the necessity of use version control for a recorded talk, but I'm not doing that here, as those dealing with these large files can choose themselves whether the 2x or 3x overhead caused by this is inconvenient for them.)
-erik
Hi
On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 11:21:36AM +0200, Erik Schnetter wrote:
I like having a checkout of the svn repo for the ET web site on my laptop; this allows me to keep everything in sync when I make changes.
Same here.
I just discovered that there are now recorded talks in this repository. This is a non-starter for me; downloading the talks via a slow wireless connection won't work for me.
You said you have it already on your laptop. These files are old. An update shouldn't trigger any bandwidth usage, assuming the last update was within the last few months. At some point of course everybody needs to get these files and you might not have a broad band connection right then, I understand the pain.
Please keep large files that are unlikely to change in a different repo from small files that are frequently edited.
The argument against that would be disk space, not so much bandwidth. Currently we talk about 180MB, about half of the size of the repository. We could setup something different for the plain recordings though. Thanks for opening a ticket so that we don't forget.
Frank
users@lists.einsteintoolkit.org