How do I specify in a GetComponent thorn list that a thorn is purely local and cannot be obtained from a repository? I still want to include the thorn in the thorn list so that I can use this thorn list for building.
-erik
Are you talking about a thorn that is not even under local version control? In that case I don't think GetComponents would support it currently. We could introduce a new !TYPE called 'file' or 'local', which would direct GetComponents to copy the items to the specified location, or just create a symlink.
Eric
On Jun 24, 2010, at 4:16 PM, Erik Schnetter wrote:
How do I specify in a GetComponent thorn list that a thorn is purely local and cannot be obtained from a repository? I still want to include the thorn in the thorn list so that I can use this thorn list for building.
-erik
-- Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 05:48:25PM -0500, Eric Seidel wrote:
Are you talking about a thorn that is not even under local version control? In that case I don't think GetComponents would support it currently. We could introduce a new !TYPE called 'file' or 'local', which would direct GetComponents to copy the items to the specified location, or just create a symlink.
We did have a similar TYPE in the old format with 'ignore' as value.
Frank
I'm not speaking of GetComponents copying anything -- I have a thorn that is already there, and GetComponents reports errors when I update since this thorn doesn't correspond to anything in the thorn list.
Copying a thorn from a file:// url would also be nice, but isn't urgent. Maybe wget would handle this already?
-erik
On Jun 24, 2010, at 18:48 , Eric Seidel wrote:
Are you talking about a thorn that is not even under local version control? In that case I don't think GetComponents would support it currently. We could introduce a new !TYPE called 'file' or 'local', which would direct GetComponents to copy the items to the specified location, or just create a symlink.
Eric
On Jun 24, 2010, at 4:16 PM, Erik Schnetter wrote:
How do I specify in a GetComponent thorn list that a thorn is purely local and cannot be obtained from a repository? I still want to include the thorn in the thorn list so that I can use this thorn list for building.
-erik
-- Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
I tested the file:// handle with wget and curl yesterday, it works with curl but not wget. I'm not really sure why we would need to use wget or curl locally though, it seems that symlinks would suffice for local files, just like for git/hg/darcs.
Perhaps what we should do then is add a "!TYPE = ignore" as Frank suggested and then decide what would be the best method for handling local thorns which are not already in the source tree.
Eric
On Jun 25, 2010, at 7:00 AM, Erik Schnetter wrote:
I'm not speaking of GetComponents copying anything -- I have a thorn that is already there, and GetComponents reports errors when I update since this thorn doesn't correspond to anything in the thorn list.
Copying a thorn from a file:// url would also be nice, but isn't urgent. Maybe wget would handle this already?
-erik
On Jun 24, 2010, at 18:48 , Eric Seidel wrote:
Are you talking about a thorn that is not even under local version control? In that case I don't think GetComponents would support it currently. We could introduce a new !TYPE called 'file' or 'local', which would direct GetComponents to copy the items to the specified location, or just create a symlink.
Eric
On Jun 24, 2010, at 4:16 PM, Erik Schnetter wrote:
How do I specify in a GetComponent thorn list that a thorn is purely local and cannot be obtained from a repository? I still want to include the thorn in the thorn list so that I can use this thorn list for building.
-erik
-- Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
-- Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/
On Jun 25, 2010, at 11:24 , Eric Seidel wrote:
I tested the file:// handle with wget and curl yesterday, it works with curl but not wget. I'm not really sure why we would need to use wget or curl locally though, it seems that symlinks would suffice for local files, just like for git/hg/darcs.
We should make copies, not symlinks, so that people can make local modifications without influencing anything else, and so that they are independent of modifications applied elsewhere.
Perhaps what we should do then is add a "!TYPE = ignore" as Frank suggested and then decide what would be the best method for handling local thorns which are not already in the source tree.
Yes, please!
-erik
Eric
On Jun 25, 2010, at 7:00 AM, Erik Schnetter wrote:
I'm not speaking of GetComponents copying anything -- I have a thorn that is already there, and GetComponents reports errors when I update since this thorn doesn't correspond to anything in the thorn list.
Copying a thorn from a file:// url would also be nice, but isn't urgent. Maybe wget would handle this already?
-erik
On Jun 24, 2010, at 18:48 , Eric Seidel wrote:
Are you talking about a thorn that is not even under local version control? In that case I don't think GetComponents would support it currently. We could introduce a new !TYPE called 'file' or 'local', which would direct GetComponents to copy the items to the specified location, or just create a symlink.
Eric
On Jun 24, 2010, at 4:16 PM, Erik Schnetter wrote:
How do I specify in a GetComponent thorn list that a thorn is purely local and cannot be obtained from a repository? I still want to include the thorn in the thorn list so that I can use this thorn list for building.
-erik
-- Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
-- Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/
On Jun 25, 2010, at 12:02 , Eric Seidel wrote:
Perhaps what we should do then is add a "!TYPE = ignore" as Frank suggested and then decide what would be the best method for handling local thorns which are not already in the source tree.
GetComponents has been updated to support this now.
$ utils/Scripts/GetComponents --update --root=. manifest/einsteintoolkit.th Use of uninitialized value in subroutine entry at utils/Scripts/GetComponents line 554. Can't use string ("") as a subroutine ref while "strict refs" in use at utils/Scripts/GetComponents line 554.
My thorn list has the lines
!TARGET = $ARR !TYPE = ignore !CHECKOUT = CactusNumerical/InterpToArray
-erik
I just committed a small change to GetComponents which prioritizes TYPE = 'ignore' over all methods of checking for thorn existence. If CactusNumerical/InterpToArray is under local cvs/svn control that could have caused GetComponents to flag it as needing an update. That in turn would cause an error when it tries to find the value associated with 'ignore' in the checkout_types hash.
Let me know if that works. The other possibility is that there could have been some kind of error while parsing the thornlist that gave you a TYPE = ' '...
Eric
On Jun 25, 2010, at 3:14 PM, Erik Schnetter wrote:
On Jun 25, 2010, at 12:02 , Eric Seidel wrote:
Perhaps what we should do then is add a "!TYPE = ignore" as Frank suggested and then decide what would be the best method for handling local thorns which are not already in the source tree.
GetComponents has been updated to support this now.
$ utils/Scripts/GetComponents --update --root=. manifest/einsteintoolkit.th Use of uninitialized value in subroutine entry at utils/Scripts/GetComponents line 554. Can't use string ("") as a subroutine ref while "strict refs" in use at utils/Scripts/GetComponents line 554.
My thorn list has the lines
!TARGET = $ARR !TYPE = ignore !CHECKOUT = CactusNumerical/InterpToArray
-erik
-- Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/
The TYPE=ignore works for me now. Thanks a lot!
-erik
On Jun 25, 2010, at 18:11 , Eric Seidel wrote:
I just committed a small change to GetComponents which prioritizes TYPE = 'ignore' over all methods of checking for thorn existence. If CactusNumerical/InterpToArray is under local cvs/svn control that could have caused GetComponents to flag it as needing an update. That in turn would cause an error when it tries to find the value associated with 'ignore' in the checkout_types hash.
Let me know if that works. The other possibility is that there could have been some kind of error while parsing the thornlist that gave you a TYPE = ' '...
Eric
On Jun 25, 2010, at 3:14 PM, Erik Schnetter wrote:
On Jun 25, 2010, at 12:02 , Eric Seidel wrote:
Perhaps what we should do then is add a "!TYPE = ignore" as Frank suggested and then decide what would be the best method for handling local thorns which are not already in the source tree.
GetComponents has been updated to support this now.
$ utils/Scripts/GetComponents --update --root=. manifest/einsteintoolkit.th Use of uninitialized value in subroutine entry at utils/Scripts/GetComponents line 554. Can't use string ("") as a subroutine ref while "strict refs" in use at utils/Scripts/GetComponents line 554.
My thorn list has the lines
!TARGET = $ARR !TYPE = ignore !CHECKOUT = CactusNumerical/InterpToArray
-erik
-- Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/
users@lists.einsteintoolkit.org