Hi Steve,
Making that change didn't affect the error. You're off the hook. ;-)
I'm happy to hear other suggestions. I've never seen this error before.
Thanks, Scott
From: "Steven R. Brandt" <sbrandt@cct.lsu.edumailto:sbrandt@cct.lsu.edu> Date: Monday, January 27, 2014 10:32 AM To: Scott Hawley <scott.hawley@belmont.edumailto:scott.hawley@belmont.edu> Subject: Re: [Users] CarpetReduce: Formerly working par file now yields 'Simulation domain volume and reduction weight sum differ'
Let's just make sure it's not my fault somehow (I doubt that it is).
Go to src/util/ParseFile.c
and change line 134 to look like this:
int piraha_active = 0;
See if that makes any difference. If it doesn't, change the 0 back to 1. If it does, please let me know.
Cheers, Steve
On 01/23/2014 10:57 AM, Scott Hawley wrote: Hi. I never received any responses to this. Hoping it was just because that was a busy time of year. Trying again. Thanks, Scott
From: Scott Hawley <scott.hawley@belmont.edumailto:scott.hawley@belmont.edu> Date: Friday, December 20, 2013 1:19 PM To: "users@einsteintoolkit.orgmailto:users@einsteintoolkit.org" <users@einsteintoolkit.orgmailto:users@einsteintoolkit.org> Subject: [Users] CarpetReduce: Formerly working par file now yields 'Simulation domain volume and reduction weight sum differ'
Hi, I'm pretty sure I haven't changed a par file which "used to work." Now I'm getting the 'Simulation domain volume and reduction weight sum differ' error.
I've read a few previous posts about this...
http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/2011-September/001457.html
http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/2012-September/002540.html
http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/trac/2011-October/002465.html
...but haven't understood how they apply to my case. I'm not using CarpetMask, and haven't changed anything about the boundary points or grid structure.
Can anyone offer a suggestion? Thanks.
Output log and par file follow.
-Scott
% /opt/local/bin/openmpirun -np 1 ./exe/cactus_bruiser -roe --logdir=log /Users/shawley/runs/cactus/bruiser/bruiser_test.par
IN DIRECTORY: /Users/shawley/Cactus
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10
1 0101 ************************
01 1010 10 The Cactus Code V4.0
1010 1101 011 www.cactuscode.orghttp://www.cactuscode.org
1001 100101 ************************
00010101
100011 (c) Copyright The Authors
0100 GNU Licensed. No Warranty
0101
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cactus version: 4.1.1
Compile date: Dec 20 2013 (12:34:14)
Run date: Dec 20 2013 (13:02:27-0600)
Run host: (pid=99492)
WARNING level 1 in thorn CarpetReduce processor 0 host
Working directory: /Users/shawley/Cactus
(line 137 of /Users/shawley/.mojaveconfig/Cactus/bruiser/build/CarpetReduce/mask_test.c):
Executable: ./exe/cactus_bruiser
-> Simulation domain volume and reduction weight sum differ
Parameter file: /Users/shawley/runs/cactus/bruiser/bruiser_test.par
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
% cat bruiser_test.par | grep -v '^#' Cactus::cctk_run_title = "BruiserSetBG, FMR BBH" Cactus::cctk_full_warnings = yes Cactus::cctk_itlast = 0
ActiveThorns = "AEILocalInterp Boundary CartGrid3D CoordBase SymBase Slab Carpet CarpetLib CarpetInterp CarpetReduce CarpetSlab CarpetRegrid IOUtil SphericalSurface NaNChecker ADMBase ADMCoupling ADMMacros CoordGauge SpaceMask StaticConformal BruiserSetBG BruiserConstraints AHFinderDirect ADMAnalysis ADMConstraints LoopControl InitBase CarpetIOBasic CarpetIOScalar CarpetIOASCII TimerReport TmunuBase GenericFD" ActiveThorns = "CarpetIOHDF5 CarpetIOASCII"
SphericalSurface::nsurfaces = 3 SphericalSurface::maxntheta = 39 SphericalSurface::maxnphi = 76 SphericalSurface::ntheta [0] = 39 SphericalSurface::nphi [0] = 76 SphericalSurface::nghoststheta[0] = 2 SphericalSurface::nghostsphi [0] = 2 SphericalSurface::ntheta [1] = 39 SphericalSurface::nphi [1] = 76 SphericalSurface::nghoststheta[1] = 2 SphericalSurface::nghostsphi [1] = 2 SphericalSurface::ntheta [2] = 39 SphericalSurface::nphi [2] = 76 SphericalSurface::nghoststheta[2] = 2 SphericalSurface::nghostsphi [2] = 2
IO::out_dir = $parfile
Carpet::domain_from_coordbase = yes
driver::ghost_size = 4
InitBase::initial_data_setup_method="init_all_levels" Carpet::prolongation_order_time = 0 Carpet::prolongation_order_space = 1 Carpet::convergence_level = 0 ADMMacros::spatial_order = 4 ADMBase::initial_data = "BruiserSetBG, Kerr-Schild" ADMBase::lapse_timelevels = 2 ADMBase::shift_timelevels = 2 ADMConstraints::constraints_timelevels = 2 ADMBase::metric_timelevels = 2
CoordBase::domainsize = minmax CoordBase::spacing = numcells CoordBase::xmin = -36.0 CoordBase::ymin = -36.0 CoordBase::zmin = -36.0 CoordBase::xmax = 36.0 CoordBase::ymax = 36.0 CoordBase::zmax = 36.0 CoordBase::ncells_x = 12 CoordBase::ncells_y = 12 CoordBase::ncells_z = 12
CartGrid3D::type = coordbase CartGrid3D::avoid_origin = no
NaNChecker::check_every = 524288 NaNChecker::action_if_found = terminate
Carpet::max_refinement_levels = 7 CarpetRegrid::refinement_levels = 7 CarpetRegrid::refined_regions = "manual-coordinate-list" CarpetRegrid::smart_outer_boundaries = yes CarpetRegrid::coordinates = "[ [([-36,-36,-36]:[36,36,36]:[3,3,3])], [([-36,-36,-36]:[36,36,36]:[1.5,1.5,1.5])], [([-19.5,-19.5,-19.5]:[19.5,19.5,19.5]:[0.75,0.75,0.75])], [([-12,-9,-9]:[12,9,9]:[0.375,0.375,0.375])], [([-8.25,-4.125,-4.125]:[-1.875,4.125,4.125]:[0.1875,0.1875,0.1875]),([1.875,-4.125,-4.125]:[8.25,4.125,4.125]:[0.1875,0.1875,0.1875])], [([-6.375,-1.6875,-1.6875]:[-3.75,1.6875,1.6875]:[0.09375,0.09375,0.09375]), ([3.75,-1.6875,-1.6875]:[6.375,1.6875,1.6875]:[0.09375,0.09375,0.09375])] ]" Carpet::verbose = "no" Carpet::veryverbose = "no"
BruiserSetBG::bh1_m = 1.0 BruiserSetBG::bh1_a = 0.5 BruiserSetBG::bh1_theta = 0.0 BruiserSetBG::bh1_phi = 1.57 BruiserSetBG::bh1_x = -5.00 BruiserSetBG::bh1_y = 0.0 BruiserSetBG::bh1_z = 0.0 BruiserSetBG::bh1_vx = 1.0e-33 BruiserSetBG::bh1_vy = 0.0 BruiserSetBG::bh1_vz = 0.0 BruiserSetBG::bh2_m = 1.0 BruiserSetBG::bh2_a = 0.5 BruiserSetBG::bh2_theta = 0.0 BruiserSetBG::bh2_phi = 0.0 BruiserSetBG::bh2_x = 5.00 BruiserSetBG::bh2_y = 0.0 BruiserSetBG::bh2_z = 0.0 BruiserSetBG::bh2_vx = 1.0e-33 BruiserSetBG::bh2_vy = 0.0 BruiserSetBG::bh2_vz = 0.0 BruiserSetBG::r_mask = 0.9
BruiserConstraints::skip_solver = "no" BruiserConstraints::use_fma = "no" BruiserConstraints::nlevels = 7 BruiserConstraints::nvcycle = 1 BruiserConstraints::preswp = 3 BruiserConstraints::bruiser_verbosity = 5 BruiserConstraints::sor_factor = 1.4 BruiserConstraints::cgtol = 1.0e-8
SpaceMask::use_mask = yes
AHFinderDirect::find_every = 1 AHFinderDirect::geometry_interpolator_name = "Lagrange polynomial interpolation" AHFinderDirect::geometry_interpolator_pars = "order=4" AHFinderDirect::surface_interpolator_name = "Lagrange polynomial interpolation" AHFinderDirect::surface_interpolator_pars = "order=4" AHFinderDirect::N_horizons = 2 AHFinderDirect::origin_x [1] = -5.0 AHFinderDirect::initial_guess__coord_sphere__x_center [1] = -5.0 AHFinderDirect::initial_guess__coord_sphere__radius [1] = 2.0 AHFinderDirect::which_surface_to_store_info [1] = 0 AHFinderDirect::origin_x [2] = 5.0 AHFinderDirect::initial_guess__coord_sphere__x_center [2] = 5.0 AHFinderDirect::initial_guess__coord_sphere__radius [2] = 2.0 AHFinderDirect::which_surface_to_store_info [2] = 1 AHFinderDirect::set_mask_for_individual_horizon [2] = no
TimerReport::output_all_timers = "yes"
IOBasic::outInfo_every = 1 IOBasic::outInfo_reductions = "minimum maximum" IOBasic::outInfo_vars = " ADMBase::alp "
IOScalar::outScalar_every = 1 IOScalar::outScalar_vars = " grid::coordinates ADMBase::metric ADMBase::curv "
IOASCII::out2D_every = 1 IOASCII::out2D_vars = " BruiserConstraints::phi " IOHDF5::out_criterion = time IOHDF5::out_dt = 1.0 IOHDF5::out_vars = " ADMBase::metric ADMBase::curv BruiserSetBG::bruiser_mask BruiserConstraints::phi "
BruiserConstraints::output_method = "IOHDF5"
_______________________________________________ Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.orgmailto:Users@einsteintoolkit.orghttp://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1
Hello Scott,
Making that change didn't affect the error. You're off the hook. ;-)
'Simulation domain volume and reduction weight sum differ' is a diagnostic warning that CarpetReduce produces when it thinks that the volume of the non-excised grid points is incorrectly computed. Unless you use an excision mask, you should not ever see this error. We have however in the past had problems with getting the test to work correctly. Basically it is non-trivial to keep track of how much of the grid volume ought to be removed for each masked point. Since you are not using CarpetMask I would suspect that CarpetRegrid created a grid that is considered incorrect. The grid may be incorrect or Carpet's test. Looking at your parfile you seem to overlay the coarsest level with two more refined levels of the same size but higher resolution. This is "unusal" in that evolution runs would not use this (though I see what for a MG solver this may be needed). So my first test would be to reduce the number of reflevels to 1 (coarse only) and see if this works. Then add one level but reduce its size to half that of coarse one. If this fails, I'd increase the resolution to have more than 12 cells present to see if the grids are too small.
Yours, Roland
- -- My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://keys.gnupg.net.
Roland,
Just a late follow-up:
Unless you use an excision mask, you should not ever see this error.
I am using an excision mask.
If I change revlevels to 1, then the error goes away. But yes, as you say, this grid configuration was deemed necessary for multigrid work.
I've noticed that the warning is "non-critical" -- i.e. the simulation seems to proceed fine despite this message. I probably just never noticed the warning before, but have noticed it recently now that I'm using Mojave which colors such messages in red. :-)
Thanks, Scott
On 1/28/14 6:22 PM, "Roland Haas" roland.haas@physics.gatech.edu wrote:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1
Hello Scott,
Making that change didn't affect the error. You're off the hook. ;-)
'Simulation domain volume and reduction weight sum differ' is a diagnostic warning that CarpetReduce produces when it thinks that the volume of the non-excised grid points is incorrectly computed. Unless you use an excision mask, you should not ever see this error. We have however in the past had problems with getting the test to work correctly. Basically it is non-trivial to keep track of how much of the grid volume ought to be removed for each masked point. Since you are not using CarpetMask I would suspect that CarpetRegrid created a grid that is considered incorrect. The grid may be incorrect or Carpet's test. Looking at your parfile you seem to overlay the coarsest level with two more refined levels of the same size but higher resolution. This is "unusal" in that evolution runs would not use this (though I see what for a MG solver this may be needed). So my first test would be to reduce the number of reflevels to 1 (coarse only) and see if this works. Then add one level but reduce its size to half that of coarse one. If this fails, I'd increase the resolution to have more than 12 cells present to see if the grids are too small.
Yours, Roland
My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://keys.gnupg.net. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1 Comment: Using GnuPG with Icedove - http://www.enigmail.net/
iEYEARECAAYFAlLoSbkACgkQTiFSTN7SboUQhwCcCGM3L/xMtvOZRRIPVTSSm2UQ 6+UAoLeyBa+iDPkhhZbDtONoLuZ0HGta =6x9z -----END PGP SIGNATURE----- _______________________________________________ Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
users@lists.einsteintoolkit.org