Hi,
when trying a fresh checkout of einsteintoolkit, I found the following error message:
----------------------------------------------------------------- Checking out module: KrancNumericalTools/GenericFD from repository: http://github.com/ianhinder/Kranc.git into: Cactus/arrangements cwd = /home/bruno/tmp/test git clone --depth 1 http://github.com/ianhinder/Kranc.git Cactus/git-repos/Kranc shallow over http or ftp not supported -----------------------------------------------------------------
...
Unable to process KrancNumericalTools/GenericFD.
The option --depth 1 is not accepted by GitHub. I was able to clone it without a problem otherwise. Do we really need this option in GetComponents?
Thanks, Bruno.
On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 08:09:34PM -0400, Bruno Coutinho Mundim wrote:
The option --depth 1 is not accepted by GitHub. I was able to clone it without a problem otherwise. Do we really need this option in GetComponents?
Your installation of git seems to be too old. Can you please try to update it? It would be nice to keep that option because it can speed up cloning quite a bit.
thanks, Frank
Frank Loeffler wrote:
On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 08:09:34PM -0400, Bruno Coutinho Mundim wrote:
The option --depth 1 is not accepted by GitHub. I was able to clone it without a problem otherwise. Do we really need this option in GetComponents?
Your installation of git seems to be too old. Can you please try to update it? It would be nice to keep that option because it can speed up cloning quite a bit.
The git version currently maintained by CentOS 5 (the distro I use) is 1.5.5.6. I am not sure yet if it is worth the hassle of installing and maintaining a newer version different from the distro one. Also, what if I really want to look at the long history of the project development? What about adding an option to GetComponents to let the user choose the depth value (or avoid using it at all)? depth 1 could still be left as a default though.
Thanks, Bruno.
Hi,
On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 09:58:26PM -0400, Bruno Coutinho Mundim wrote:
The git version currently maintained by CentOS 5 (the distro I use) is 1.5.5.6.
Wow, and I thought Debian is old.
I am not sure yet if it is worth the hassle of installing and maintaining a newer version different from the distro one.
The following two commands should install a newer git on CentOS5, according to http://www.webtatic.com/blog/2009/09/git-on-centos-5/:
rpm -ivh http://repo.webtatic.com/yum/centos/5/%60uname \ -i`/webtatic-release-5-0.noarch.rpm
yum install --enablerepo=webtatic git-all
Also, what if I really want to look at the long history of the project development?
In that case you can still clone it without --depth 1, by hand though.
What about adding an option to GetComponents to let the user choose the depth value (or avoid using it at all)? depth 1 could still be left as a default though.
--depth 1 is only used for anonymous clones, so that most developers do get a full clone. I don't think there would be a problem with adding that option to GetComponents though.
Disregarding all that: please try using git:// and not http:// for the Kranc clone (but with --depth 1). If I am not mistaken that problem might go away with git as protocol. If so, we should probably change that in the ET thornlist.
Frank
Frank Loeffler wrote:
Hi,
On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 09:58:26PM -0400, Bruno Coutinho Mundim wrote:
The git version currently maintained by CentOS 5 (the distro I use) is 1.5.5.6.
Wow, and I thought Debian is old.
I am not sure yet if it is worth the hassle of installing and maintaining a newer version different from the distro one.
The following two commands should install a newer git on CentOS5, according to http://www.webtatic.com/blog/2009/09/git-on-centos-5/:
rpm -ivh http://repo.webtatic.com/yum/centos/5/%60uname \ -i`/webtatic-release-5-0.noarch.rpm
yum install --enablerepo=webtatic git-all
Thanks!
Also, what if I really want to look at the long history of the project development?
In that case you can still clone it without --depth 1, by hand though.
but I wouldn't be using GetComponents (that I think it is quite a good script and its use should be fostered in general)
What about adding an option to GetComponents to let the user choose the depth value (or avoid using it at all)? depth 1 could still be left as a default though.
--depth 1 is only used for anonymous clones, so that most developers do get a full clone. I don't think there would be a problem with adding that option to GetComponents though.
That would be great.
Disregarding all that: please try using git:// and not http:// for the Kranc clone (but with --depth 1). If I am not mistaken that problem might go away with git as protocol. If so, we should probably change that in the ET thornlist.
Yes, the problem goes away...
Cheers... Bruno.
On Jun 3, 2010, at 19:20 , Frank Loeffler wrote:
On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 08:09:34PM -0400, Bruno Coutinho Mundim wrote:
The option --depth 1 is not accepted by GitHub. I was able to clone it without a problem otherwise. Do we really need this option in GetComponents?
Your installation of git seems to be too old. Can you please try to update it? It would be nice to keep that option because it can speed up cloning quite a bit.
GetComponents is a very central tool; it should be as conservative as possible. Performance is only secondary. For example, instead of
git --depth 1 ARGS
we could use
git --depth 1 ARGS || git ARGS
which would automatically retry if the first git fails. Of course, this would be more elegantly handled by perl code instead of shell code.
-erik
users@lists.einsteintoolkit.org