Hello,
I’m a new user of ETK and trying to follow the tutorial to set up Cactus. I ran into this problem building Cactus and hope you could help me resolve it. Here is the commend I’m stuck at:
%cd $cactus_dir !time ./simfactory/bin/sim build -j2 --thornlist=thornlists/einsteintoolkit.thhttp://einsteintoolkit.th
Where I got an error message at the end:
checking whether the C compiler (gcc-mp-7 -g -std=c11 -lgfortran) works... no configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables (see configs/<configname>/config-data/config.log for details).
Error reconfiguring sim-config make: *** [sim-config] Error 2
I’m attaching the config, log file here. Could you suggest what I should do to fix this? Thank you so much!!
Best, Shanshan Rodriguez
—————————————————————— Shanshan Rodriguez Assistant Professor of Physics 1034 Noyce Science Center Department of Physics Grinnell College Grinnell, IA 50112 Email: rodriguezs@grinnell.edumailto:rodriguezs@grinnell.edu
Hello Shanshan Rodriguez,
based on the fact that the code complains about gcc-mp-7 you seem to be trying to compile Cactus on a mac using macports. Macports periodically updates its gcc packages and quite likely the current one is gcc-8 in which case the compiler is called gcc-mp-8 g++-mp-8 and gfortran-mp-8.
You should modify the option list that you are using to reflect this. In the tutorial this is the file osx-macports.cfg which you can find in the simfactory/mdb/optionlists/osx-macports.cfg file.
I have also just made the required change to the release version simfactory files.
Yours, Roland
Hello,
I’m a new user of ETK and trying to follow the tutorial to set up Cactus. I ran into this problem building Cactus and hope you could help me resolve it. Here is the commend I’m stuck at:
%cd $cactus_dir !time ./simfactory/bin/sim build -j2 --thornlist=thornlists/einsteintoolkit.thhttp://einsteintoolkit.th
Where I got an error message at the end:
checking whether the C compiler (gcc-mp-7 -g -std=c11 -lgfortran) works... no configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables (see configs/<configname>/config-data/config.log for details).
Error reconfiguring sim-config make: *** [sim-config] Error 2
I’m attaching the config, log file here. Could you suggest what I should do to fix this? Thank you so much!!
Best, Shanshan Rodriguez
—————————————————————— Shanshan Rodriguez Assistant Professor of Physics 1034 Noyce Science Center Department of Physics Grinnell College Grinnell, IA 50112 Email: rodriguezs@grinnell.edumailto:rodriguezs@grinnell.edu
Hi Roland and Steve,
Thank you so much for your prompt reply! I’m compiling it on Mac OS X Mojave. I installed the latest version of Xcode and MacPorts a few days ago and had run the most recent updates. I checked my osx-macports.cfg and it does seem to require gcc-mp-7 (see below). But how do I find out what version of gcc I have in my MacPorts so I can edit them or if my compiler even exists?
Best wishes, Shanshan
VERSION = osx-macports-2018-02-05
# Apple's compiler (Clang) does not support OpenMP, so we use GCC instead.
CPP = cpp-mp-7
FPP = cpp-mp-7
CC = gcc-mp-7
CXX = g++-mp-7
F90 = gfortran-mp-7
CPPFLAGS =
FPPFLAGS = -traditional
CFLAGS = -g -std=c11
CXXFLAGS = -g -std=c++14
F90FLAGS = -g -m128bit-long-double -fcray-pointer -ffixed-line-length-none
On Feb 15, 2019, at 3:26 PM, Steven R. Brandt <sbrandt@cct.lsu.edumailto:sbrandt@cct.lsu.edu> wrote:
It says your compiler doesn't exist. Are you compiling on ios? What happens when you type "which gcc-mp-7"?
--Steve
On Feb 15, 2019, at 12:48 PM, Haas, Roland <rhaas@illinois.edumailto:rhaas@illinois.edu> wrote:
Hello Shanshan Rodriguez,
based on the fact that the code complains about gcc-mp-7 you seem to be trying to compile Cactus on a mac using macports. Macports periodically updates its gcc packages and quite likely the current one is gcc-8 in which case the compiler is called gcc-mp-8 g++-mp-8 and gfortran-mp-8.
You should modify the option list that you are using to reflect this. In the tutorial this is the file osx-macports.cfg which you can find in the simfactory/mdb/optionlists/osx-macports.cfg file.
I have also just made the required change to the release version simfactory files.
Yours, Roland
Hello,
I’m a new user of ETK and trying to follow the tutorial to set up Cactus. I ran into this problem building Cactus and hope you could help me resolve it. Here is the commend I’m stuck at:
%cd $cactus_dir !time ./simfactory/bin/sim build -j2 --thornlist=thornlists/einsteintoolkit.thhttp://einsteintoolkit.thhttp://einsteintoolkit.th
Where I got an error message at the end:
checking whether the C compiler (gcc-mp-7 -g -std=c11 -lgfortran) works... no configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables (see configs/<configname>/config-data/config.log for details).
Error reconfiguring sim-config make: *** [sim-config] Error 2
I’m attaching the config, log file here. Could you suggest what I should do to fix this? Thank you so much!!
Best, Shanshan Rodriguez
—————————————————————— Shanshan Rodriguez Assistant Professor of Physics 1034 Noyce Science Center Department of Physics Grinnell College Grinnell, IA 50112 Email: rodriguezs@grinnell.edumailto:rodriguezs@grinnell.edumailto:rodriguezs@grinnell.edu
-- My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://keys.gnupg.net.
Hello Shanshan,
you will have gcc-mp-8 installed (or at least that is the version that macports on my test-only macbook installed). To use it, please replace all mp-7 by mp-8 in the file.
Steve's suggestion can be used to check that it exists ie
which gcc-mp-8
should return the full path to the compiler and not just "not found".
If gcc is not installed at all you will need to do something like:
sudo port selfupdate sudo port install gcc8
You should remove the directory configs/sim to make sure simfactory really builds from scratch.
Yours, Roland
Hi Roland and Steve,
Thank you so much for your prompt reply! I’m compiling it on Mac OS X Mojave. I installed the latest version of Xcode and MacPorts a few days ago and had run the most recent updates. I checked my osx-macports.cfg and it does seem to require gcc-mp-7 (see below). But how do I find out what version of gcc I have in my MacPorts so I can edit them or if my compiler even exists?
Best wishes, Shanshan
VERSION = osx-macports-2018-02-05
# Apple's compiler (Clang) does not support OpenMP, so we use GCC instead.
CPP = cpp-mp-7
FPP = cpp-mp-7
CC = gcc-mp-7
CXX = g++-mp-7
F90 = gfortran-mp-7
CPPFLAGS =
FPPFLAGS = -traditional
CFLAGS = -g -std=c11
CXXFLAGS = -g -std=c++14
F90FLAGS = -g -m128bit-long-double -fcray-pointer -ffixed-line-length-none
On Feb 15, 2019, at 3:26 PM, Steven R. Brandt <sbrandt@cct.lsu.edumailto:sbrandt@cct.lsu.edu> wrote:
It says your compiler doesn't exist. Are you compiling on ios? What happens when you type "which gcc-mp-7"?
--Steve
On Feb 15, 2019, at 12:48 PM, Haas, Roland <rhaas@illinois.edumailto:rhaas@illinois.edu> wrote:
Hello Shanshan Rodriguez,
based on the fact that the code complains about gcc-mp-7 you seem to be trying to compile Cactus on a mac using macports. Macports periodically updates its gcc packages and quite likely the current one is gcc-8 in which case the compiler is called gcc-mp-8 g++-mp-8 and gfortran-mp-8.
You should modify the option list that you are using to reflect this. In the tutorial this is the file osx-macports.cfg which you can find in the simfactory/mdb/optionlists/osx-macports.cfg file.
I have also just made the required change to the release version simfactory files.
Yours, Roland
Hello,
I’m a new user of ETK and trying to follow the tutorial to set up Cactus. I ran into this problem building Cactus and hope you could help me resolve it. Here is the commend I’m stuck at:
%cd $cactus_dir !time ./simfactory/bin/sim build -j2 --thornlist=thornlists/einsteintoolkit.thhttp://einsteintoolkit.thhttp://einsteintoolkit.th
Where I got an error message at the end:
checking whether the C compiler (gcc-mp-7 -g -std=c11 -lgfortran) works... no configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables (see configs/<configname>/config-data/config.log for details).
Error reconfiguring sim-config make: *** [sim-config] Error 2
I’m attaching the config, log file here. Could you suggest what I should do to fix this? Thank you so much!!
Best, Shanshan Rodriguez
—————————————————————— Shanshan Rodriguez Assistant Professor of Physics 1034 Noyce Science Center Department of Physics Grinnell College Grinnell, IA 50112 Email: rodriguezs@grinnell.edumailto:rodriguezs@grinnell.edumailto:rodriguezs@grinnell.edu
-- My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://keys.gnupg.net.
It says your compiler doesn't exist. Are you compiling on ios? What happens when you type "which gcc-mp-7"?
--Steve
On 2/15/2019 12:14 PM, Rodriguez, Shanshan wrote:
Hello,
I’m a new user of ETK and trying to follow the tutorial to set up Cactus. I ran into this problem building Cactus and hope you could help me resolve it. Here is the commend I’m stuck at:
%cd $cactus_dir !time ./simfactory/bin/sim build -j2 --thornlist=thornlists/einsteintoolkit.th http://einsteintoolkit.th
Where I got an error message at the end:
checking whether the C compiler (gcc-mp-7 -g -std=c11 -lgfortran) works... no configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables (see configs/<configname>/config-data/config.log for details).
Error reconfiguring sim-config make: *** [sim-config] Error 2
I’m attaching the config, log file here. Could you suggest what I should do to fix this? Thank you so much!!
Best, Shanshan Rodriguez
—————————————————————— *Shanshan Rodriguez* Assistant Professor of Physics 1034 Noyce Science Center Department of Physics Grinnell College Grinnell, IA 50112 /Email: rodriguezs@grinnell.edu mailto:rodriguezs@grinnell.edu/
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
users@lists.einsteintoolkit.org