#1176: Compilation of Recompose.cc fails with gcc-4.7 and OpenMP
-------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
Reporter: david.radice@… | Owner: eschnett
Type: defect | Status: new
Priority: major | Milestone:
Component: Carpet | Version: ET_2012_05
Keywords: |
-------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
I am trying to compile the latest release of the Einstein Toolkit,
Ørsted, on my laptop (Fedora 17, gcc-4.7.2), but I get the following
error if I try to compile with OpenMP:
/home/davide/Desert/CactusOersted/configs/charon/build/Carpet/Recompose.cc:2071:2:
error: stray ‘#’ in program
the error disappears if I compile with no OpenMP support.
I can also compile without problems, using the same thornlist and with
OpenMP support, on our local cluster with the Intel compiler.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1176>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#695: Don't buffer output from configuration scripts
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
Reporter: eschnett | Owner:
Type: defect | Status: new
Priority: minor | Milestone:
Component: Cactus | Version:
Keywords: |
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
Output from configuration scripts is buffered, and is only output after
the script has finished. This is inconvenient for long-running scripts.
Instead, the output should be shown right away.
This buffering is done in file lib/sbin/ConfigScriptParser.pl, which uses
Perl backquotes `` to collect all of the script's output. Instead, Cactus
should use a pipe to read the script's output line-by-line, and process it
immediately.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/695>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#1177: McLachlan in ET/master needs an updated KrancNumericalTools/GenericFD
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
Reporter: knarf | Owner: hinder
Type: defect | Status: new
Priority: critical | Milestone:
Component: Kranc | Version: development version
Keywords: |
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
McLachlan in ET/master needs (among other things) kisgn(), which is
defined in Kranc/Tools/CodeGen/CodeGenCactus.m, but not mentioned in
KrancNumericalTools/GenericFD/src/GenericFD.h.
Could it be that something needs to be updated from the Mathematica
sources?
{{{
COMPILING
/home/knarf/Cactus/arrangements/McLachlan/ML_BSSN/src/ML_BSSN_RHS1.cc
/home/knarf/Cactus/configs/sim/build/ML_BSSN/ML_BSSN_RHS1.cc: In function
‘void ML_BSSN_RHS1_Body(const cGH*, int, int, const double*, const
double*, const double*, const int*, const int*, int, double* const
__restrict__*)’:
/home/knarf/Cactus/configs/sim/build/ML_BSSN/ML_BSSN_RHS1.cc:648: error:
‘kisgn’ was not declared in this scope
}}}
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1177>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#163: Assertion `tl>=0 and tl<timelevels' failed error
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
Reporter: azebrowski@… | Owner: eschnett
Type: defect | Status: new
Priority: major | Milestone:
Component: Carpet | Version:
Keywords: |
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
I'm currently running a Cactus simulation based off the ET mclachlan
parameter file. I have some custom thorns which force checkpointing every
iteration, and then write new parameter files. The new parameter files
are used to run specific functions from the host simulation ("spawning"),
but I'm having some problems resuming simulations.
Currently, I get this error when resuming:
INFO (Carpet): GF: rhs: 818k active, 1440k owned (+76%), 1896k total
(+32%), 328 steps/time
cactus_sim:
/home/azebrowski/Cactus/arrangements/Carpet/CarpetLib/src/th.hh:79: double
th::get_time(int, int, int) const: Assertion `tl>=0 and tl<timelevels'
failed.
[cyder:32759] *** Process received signal ***
[cyder:32759] Signal: Aborted (6)
I'm guessing there's a parameter I'm not setting properly in my child
simulation, could anyone give me a pointer to where I should be looking?
I looked for things relating to timelevels in the host/spawned parameter
files, but didn't see anything that stood out. My parameter files used
and full output are attached to this email, with the disclaimer that I
modified the spawned parameter file to run every function instead of
skipping some in an attempt to bypass any problems that could be caused by
skipping some Carpet function on accident.
I've made a bzipped tarball containing the checkpointed data from the
simulation. It contains several parameter files. The parameter file of
interest here is spawn.par, as it doesn't use any of my custom code but
still causes Cactus to abort with an error. I left the other parameter
files in on the off chance that I might need to refer to them later.
Here is the source parameter file, which creates the spawned simulation:
http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~azebrowski/ml-ahfinder-spawn.par
Here is the spawned simulation's parameter file:
http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~azebrowski/spawn.par
Here is the full checkpointed data and another copy of the spawned
parameter file:
http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~azebrowski/data.tar.bz2
Other information:
I ran the simulation using OpenMP with 12 cores to generate the
checkpointed data. I've also tried MPI, but that didn't seem to make a
difference.
Thornlist:
http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~azebrowski/ThornList
gcc:
azebrowski@cyder:~/Cactus$ gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: x86_64-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Ubuntu
4.4.3-4ubuntu5' --with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.4/README.Bugs
--enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++ --prefix=/usr --enable-
shared --enable-multiarch --enable-linker-build-id --with-system-zlib
--libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix
--with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.4 --program-suffix=-4.4
--enable-nls --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-plugin
--enable-objc-gc --disable-werror --with-arch-32=i486 --with-tune=generic
--enable-checking=release --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-linux-gnu
--target=x86_64-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.4.3 (Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5)
Fortran is gfortran-4.4
I'm using the Mercurial version of Carpet, and the ET development thorns.
If you need more information, please let me know.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/163>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#945: add higher order restriction parameter to cell-centerd Carpet
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
Reporter: rhaas | Owner:
Type: enhancement | Status: new
Priority: minor | Milestone:
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn | Version:
Keywords: CarpetLib |
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
the attached patch adds a 3rd order accurate restriction operator to
Carpet.
It is used only for cell-centered runs, for grid functions whose
prolongation operator is *not* ENO or WENO (ie. non matter variables
only).
It should be completely invisible if CarpetLib:use_cc_o3 is false (which
of course is the default).
It offers third-order accurate restriction operators for cell centered
grids when use_cc_o3 is set. This interpolation is done for samples at
the cell centres (so this is not a ppm scheme or anything like that).
It really only fits a polynomial of the form
\sum_{i,j,k=0}^3 a_{i,j,k} x^i y^j z^k
to the fine cells and evaluates at x=y=z=0. So it is good for the
metric, but bad for matter (since it will destroy the conservation).
Because of this it is not used for grid functions whose transport
operator is not WENO or ENO which hopefully excludes all matter
variables.
I also attach a patch for a modified WaveToyMoL thorn that I used for
testing. When test_restriction is set, then it puts a 3rd order
polynomial (with some random coefficients) into phi and the
differences between the restricted value and what should be there into
psi.
The wavetoymol thorn right now inherits from CarpetEvolutionMask since I
am also working on making this functional again (seems to be ok now).
Finally attached is a parameter file to test it. You should find a
region inside of reflevel 0 of psi where psi is exactly zero. This is
where the restriction works as expected.
Further improvements would be to not have the selection for 3rd order done
by a global carpetlib parameter but instead by a grid function tag (or a
global carpet paarameter). This change could also be made to the eno/weno
operators which contain special logic to use ENO for
prolongation_order_space = 3 and 5 both.
Ok to apply (or are there large scale changes to Carpet that are currently
private)?
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/945>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#1020: Reduce WeylScal4 code size
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
Reporter: eschnett | Owner:
Type: enhancement | Status: new
Priority: major | Milestone:
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn | Version:
Keywords: |
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
The attached patch reduces the size of the auto-generated code of
WeylScal4 by introducing some strategic temporary variables.
This prevents a build failure on BlueGene/Q.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1020>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#1175: Improving the treatment of external libraries
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
Reporter: hinder | Owner:
Type: enhancement | Status: new
Priority: major | Milestone:
Component: Cactus | Version:
Keywords: |
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
There are two tickets (#1006 and #1170) which address shortcomings in the
current handling of external libraries in Cactus. I think that the
handling of external libraries needs a bit of a redesign, and have created
a wiki page (https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-
docs/Improving_the_treatment_of_external_libraries) containing a summary
of my view of the current situation, and a draft proposal for what to do
about it. Perhaps there are other approaches, maybe radically different!
Or maybe the current system is the best we can have, for practical
reasons. In any case, I think we should have a discussion about this.
Please take a look and add notes or comments either in the text of the
page or as comments to this ticket.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1175>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#1159: GRHydro_Init_Data
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
Reporter: rhaas | Owner:
Type: enhancement | Status: new
Priority: minor | Milestone:
Component: Other | Version:
Keywords: |
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
attached please find patches for GRHydro_Init_Data that were produce
during the workshop at RIT.
Unless there are objections I will apply them on Friday.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1159>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#1160: GRHydro update
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
Reporter: rhaas | Owner:
Type: enhancement | Status: new
Priority: minor | Milestone:
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn | Version:
Keywords: GRHydro |
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
attached please find patches for the changes applied during the workshop
at RIT as well as some of the older ones from Zelmani.
Unless there are objections I will apply them on Friday.
With these, Zelmani and trunk agree up to whitespace and support for
EvolutionMask.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1160>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#434: Keep track of masked-out volume in CarpetMask
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
Reporter: eschnett | Owner: eschnett
Type: enhancement | Status: new
Priority: minor | Milestone:
Component: Carpet | Version:
Keywords: |
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
Keep track of the volume that is masked out by CarpetMask, and take this
volume into account when checking in CarpetReduce that the integral over
the simulation domain equals the domain volume.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/434>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit