Hello Atul,
as far as I can tell VisIt 3.1.0 binary available from the VisIt downloads page (https://wci.llnl.gov/simulation/computer-codes/visit/executables) for Linux (Debian 9.0 64bit specifically) does have the plugin included.
To check you should see if there are files
visit3_1_0.linux-x86_64/3.1.0/linux-x86_64/plugins/databases/libECarpetHDF5Database_ser.so
visit3_1_0.linux-x86_64/3.1.0/linux-x86_64/plugins/databases/libECarpetHDF5Database_par.so
visit3_1_0.linux-x86_64/3.1.0/linux-x86_64/plugins/databases/libICarpetHDF5Database.so
visit3_1_0.linux-x86_64/3.1.0/linux-x86_64/plugins/databases/libMCarpetHDF5Database.so
which are the compiled shared libraries (not the src files). I can confirm that that plugin can read in CarpetHDF5 files (did so today).
This is for VisIt 3.1.0 git version 134a7fd (according to the about dialog).
I would check that you have not disabled the CarpetHDF5 database plugin in the "Options/Plugin Manager" menu.
Other than that I am not sure at all what could be happening. I have seem issues with HDF5 files being of too new a format (eg if ldd cactus_sim reports libhdf5.so.10 but "ls visit3_1_0.linux-x86_64/3.1.0/linux-x86_64/lib/libhdf5.so.*" is less than 10) but that does not (as far as I know) affect Cactus since we ask the newer libraries to write files readable by the old versions.
Just for completeness' sake I am attaching a screenshot showing where CarpetHDF5 shows up for me.
Yours, Roland
Hi Roland,
Thanks again for your email.
I have VisIt 3 and ETK Mayer downloaded which I believe doesn't have CarpetHDF5. How do I use the CarpetHDF5 reader? Do I need to install it from https://bitbucket.org/rhaas80/carpethdf5/src/multifile/ or is
there a
newer version?
That is still the newest version. Though I do not know of that version will compile with VisIt 3 (it may have changed the plugin interfaces).
I had a look at VisIt 3.1 ( https://github.com/visit-dav/visit/releases/download/v3.1.0/visit3_1_0.linux... since I run Debian) and as far as I can tell that one includes the CarpetHDF5 reader in
visit3_1_0.linux-x86_64/3.1.0/linux-x86_64/plugins/databases/libMCarpetHDF5Database.so
I installed VisIt 3.1.0 from the link. I tried running the visualization script with it and that gives me errors. The issue still seems to be about reading Carpet HDF5 files.
VisIt: Error - VisIt could not read from the file "/afs/ crc.nd.edu/user/a/akedia/simulations/nsnstohmns_in_saeng/output-0000/nsnstohmns/rho.xy.h5 ".
The generated error message was:
There was an error opening /afs/ crc.nd.edu/user/a/akedia/simulations/nsnstohmns_in_saeng/output-0000/nsnstohmns/rho.xy.h5. It may be an invalid file. VisIt tried using the following file format readers to open the file: <No suitable plugins were identified> VisIt: Error - Cannot create a plot until a database has been opened.
For assurance, I checked that the installed version of VisIt 3.1.0 has a folder on CarpetHDF5 in : visit/3.1.0/visit3.1.0/src/databases/CarpetHDF5 Should this be the only folder with CarpetHDF5 created?
As to s.screenCapture, it was by default set to 0 , I have attached a
sample image. setting s.screenCapture = 1 gives empty images, so does not fix the
problem. I see. The first step will then be to try and see if you can load a Carpet HDF5 file in the GUI to make sure that at least in principle you should be able to load a file (as compared to there being a scripting issue).
You should also make sure that when the script runs the file is actually opened by CarpetHDF5 and not some other plugin that can read HDF5 files (PIXIE is often doing this). I believe there is some output to screen about which reader is used.
On trying to load a file on Visit GUI I get this error message:
VisIt could not read from the file "/afs/ crc.nd.edu/user/a/akedia/simulations/nsnstohmns_in_saeng/output-0000/nsnstohmns/rho.xy.h5 ".
The generated error message was:
There was an error opening /afs/ crc.nd.edu/user/a/akedia/simulations/nsnstohmns_in_saeng/output-0000/nsnstohmns/rho.xy.h5. It may be an invalid file. VisIt tried using the following file format readers to open the file: <No suitable plugins were identified>
And when I'm selecting the file, there is no option for CarpetHDF5 in the dropdown list of supported file name/extension.
Thank you for your help, Atul