We can either remove support for it (ignore it in Cactus, maybe with a warning), or add an option to Cactus that we use from within Simfactory that makes Cactus ignore this file, without a warning.
-erik
On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Ian Hinder ian.hinder@aei.mpg.de wrote:
On 30 May 2013, at 17:31, Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu wrote:
I suggest to disable ~/.cactus/config, at least when Simfactory is used.
Do you mean that SimFactory should abort if it is there, or that we should ask people not to use .cactus/config? People might not remember that they have it there, especially as it is a hidden directory.
-erik
On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 10:56 AM, Ian Hinder ian.hinder@aei.mpg.dewrote:
Hi,
If there is a ~/.cactus/config file, and you also specify options=… to make, how is Cactus supposed to respond? Does it merge the content of the two files, or take one over the other? I suspect that it is merging them. In that case, I think simfactory should complain very loudly if there is a ~/.cactus/config file, as the options you are using will be a mixture of the optionlist configured for the machine and the one in ~/.cactus/config. I'm still dubious about the benefit of having ~/.cactus/config. I think it is used rarely enough by the main developers that it probably isn't tested well, and issues like this tend to get overlooked.
One example of where this causes confusion is if you have MPI = … in ~/.cactus/config, and MPI_DIR = in your optionlist. The MPI thorn complains about MPI being set even though it isn't set in your optionlist, so the error message makes no sense to the user.
-- Ian Hinder http://numrel.aei.mpg.de/people/hinder
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
-- Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/personal/eschnetter/
-- Ian Hinder http://numrel.aei.mpg.de/people/hinder