Hi Roland,
Thank you for your message.
In the local version I have from the docs (UsersGuide.pdf version 4.14 commit cd7e0d57217bec3023091c951729faf982cf5f54), it gets mentioned in paragraph D2.3.2, in the INT case (REAL being the same),
----- Here, a <range description> specifies a set of integers, and has one of the following forms: * # means any integer -----
Regardless, it seems that the param.ccl from Coordinate still uses just * for h_radial_1.
Rather than my actual par file, here is a more minimal working example (attached par file), derived from the Kerr-Schild_Multipole gallery example. I'm attaching the output file of the simulation. Note that a test without radial stretching did run properly - and so does a run with stretching when the range in param.ccl is *:* .
For these tests, I made a fresh installation of the toolkit on the cluster (Deucalion), with the versions of GetComponents and the thornlist indicated at https://einsteintoolkit.org/download.html (in particular, !DEFINE ET_RELEASE = ET_2025_05). I've just commented out some thorns (typically CarpetX related). I am attaching the config file and thornlist, if it can be insightful. I can provide the log files containing the output of "make config" and "make" commands if needed.
Best,
Jordan
________________________________ From: Roland Haas rhaas@mail.ubc.ca Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2026 15:15 To: Jordan Nicoules via Users Cc: Jordan Nicoules Subject: Re: [Users] Range error setting parameter, on cluster
CUIDADO: Email de um sistema externo. Cuidado com links, anexos e pedidos de dados/senhas. CAUTION: Email from an external system. Be careful with links, attachments, and requests for data/passwords.
Hello Jordan,
In the param.ccl of the Coordinate thorn, the range of this parameter appears as
- :: "negative turns off stretching"
Changing the * range statement to *:* makes it work on the cluster.
Is this some known issue? Is there something specific to look for, in the Cactus configuration for instance? So far, I haven't thoroughly tested ET versions, different clusters etc, but I can try to provide more information if needed.
Hmm, the docs
https://einsteintoolkit.org/usersguide/UsersGuide.html#x1-70000
are not explicit about this.
I have certainly used it like this:
--8<-- Coordinates::radial_stretch = "yes" Coordinates::stretch_rmin_1 = $outermost_detector + 2.*$initial_orbital_period Coordinates::stretch_rmax_1 = $outermost_detector + 4.*$initial_orbital_period Coordinates::h_radial_1 = 4 * $hr --8<--
in files of my own (with $hr having been set before).
Can you attach the full parameter file maybe?
Yours, Roland
-- My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://pgp.mit.edu .